Tuesday, July 18, 2006

What will you sacrifice?

I have been listening to way to many podcasts over the past several months. For me, it is a way to help research what I want to be when I grow up. It is amazing how much information you can listen to "between" life events. My ipod has emassed over 2GB of podcasts, which amounts so several hours of information.

My first podcast download was from Stanford. Since moving from California, I realize that there is no where else like it. People are healthy, the weather is great, and people have traveled and are truly open-minded. So naturally I found podcasts from Stanford on entrepreurship. I recommend listening to a few of them, I will have to admit I have listened to all of them at least twice. I am sort of a podcast junkie!


Tina Seeling, Executive Director, STVP, spoke in a seminar and one of the things she said was, "you can do it all, just not at the same time." So my question to you is, what will you sacrifice to do what you love?

Again, what will you sacrifice to do what you love? Anyone that has experienced love can tell you it makes you crazy. And anyone who has experienced passion for something will tell you it give you boundless energy. But since I am a realist, someone what is crazy with boundless energy is not always a good thing. We all need direction, or a roadmap to we can get to our destination.

What is your roadmap? Have you ever made one for yourself? If so what has it reveiled to you, and about you?

My own personal roadmap has been revised dozens of times and looking back at the original map, my original destination has changed. But one thing has held steady, I had to sacrifice to get there. Whether is be time or packing a lunch everyday to same money, sacrifices were made daily.

What have you already sacrificed to get where you are now? Would you make the sacrifice again? How would you do it differently next time?

What will you have to sacrifice to reach your destination? Is it TV time? Money? Sleep? We all know if we make only a minor correction in our steering, after time we end up in a completely different place. What minor changes will you make today to steer toward your future destination?

2 Comments:

At 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sacrifice comes to me on a daily basis. When I turn down plans with friends to work & keep a roof over my head. Or as full~time school creeps upon me again, I wale in horror having to confine myself in the lonely depths of my room. I know painfully were all this studying will lead me, but why in hell does it have to take soooooo long? It's all about sacrificing what you want now for that great life beyond the books.

My luck...during graduation (8yrs from now) I'll get struck by lightening & either die or more outstanding, loose what knowledge I had gained.

 
At 5:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Annonymous,
You are absolutely right that sacrificing things NOW lead to a better life, or the life you want. But you sound pessimistic at the end (unless I am taking the comment the wrong way). You mention getting hit be lightning, instead of dreaming of your life after school. As boycheese mentioned previously, you should ENJOY the things you are passionate about. So, I ask you, are you PASSIONATE about your studies, being that they are what you will be doing for a living in 8 years? GOOD LUCK!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home